The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) was founded on Nov. 21, 1891, in St. Louis, Missouri. The IBEW is as old as the commercial use of electricity itself. It is the oldest, as well as the largest, electrical union in the world.
The first Canadian local was founded in 1899 in Ottawa, Ontario. There are about 950 Locals in North America representing more than 780,000 members. In Canada, there are approximately 90 Locals representing more than 58,000 members.
Our Local, number 1928, established its charter on January 1, 1955. In 1973 IBEW amalgamated System Council U29 into Local 1928 when N.S. Light & Power, Eastern Light & Power and the N.S. Power Commission amalgamated to become one employer, the Nova Scotia Power Corporation.
Today, the majority of members in Local 1928 still are employees of Nova Scotia Power (about 800 unionized employees). However, the number of members working for other employers has grown over the last number of years. Combined, Local 1928 represents almost the same number of employees at Emera Utility Services (there are separate agreements with the Transmission and Distribution and the Communications bargaining units), Black and McDonald, Town of Antigonish Public Works and Electric Utility, the Municipality and Town of Shelburne, and the Town of Lunenburg electric utility. Altogether in Nova Scotia, there are about 1300 members of IBEW Local 1928. This summer, Local 1928 will merge with Local 1432 in Prince Edward Island, adding approximately 400 more members to Local 1928 who work for Maritime Electric, City of Summerside, and the University of PEI.