Membership & Dues

When a full-time employee is hired by an employer that has a collective agreement with Local 1928, that employee should, as a matter of course, complete an application for union membership (since the Local by contract represents that employee). In addition, any worker coming under the IBEW's jurisdiction who is of good character and not less than 16 years old can make an application for membership, provided that worker passes an examination by the executive board when required. 

Once the application is completed and approved, the next step for full membership is to attend one of the Local's unit meetings and perform the obligation, or "swearing in" with the Local unit table officer. 

Working Dues

Monthly dues from members make it possible for the Local to operate. The Local's scope of operation and its effectiveness are dependent on and limited to its available funds. The monthly dues payment is divided into two parts: the Local's portion, which is retained by Local 1928, and the International per capita (currently $19 month; going to $20/month in January 2020), which is set by and remitted to the International Secretary-Treasurer of the IBEW. Members are responsible for payment of their dues, although when you are employed full-time, your employer will deduct these automatically and submit them on your behalf to the Local. The actual amount for your dues will vary depending on your membership type and the collective agreement with your employer. Total dues for most members of Local 1928 are approximately $80 per month, currently.

Non-Working Dues

If you are laid-off, to maintain your membership in the IBEW, you are required to pay the International per capita portion of your dues to the Local, which remits that amount to the International Secretary-Treasurer of the IBEW. When a member is more than three months in arrears, the IBEW will suspend that member. (Any member in arrears for three months, but less than six months, may apply for reinstatement.) A member who is six months behind on dues is dropped from the membership. For more information on working versus non-working dues, consult this FAQ.

Types of Membership

There are two types of membership in the IBEW, "A" and "BA."

All members who work for contractors in the construction branch of the electrical industry, both inside and outside, and who work for contractors who perform maintenance work, and International Officers or Representatives of the IBEW must maintain "A" membership.

All other admitted members to the IBEW are "BA" members.

"BA" members who wish to travel into other jurisdictions to work can change their membership to an "A" membership by designating a beneficiary (download form here, needs to be completed and returned to your home Local) for their death benefit and pension. (The dues for "A" members are typically higher than "BA" members, because "A" membership dues include a death benefit and pension.)

Traveling Card

The purpose of a "travel card" is to allow a member, particularly in the contstruction branch, to transfer membership from one local union to another. A paid-up dues receipt and clear identification in most other jurisdictions will be accepted as a "working card" when one is seeking work, unless the other Local requires you to actually transfer into their Local by means of a travel card. In any case, an IBEW member seeking work in another Local's jurisdiction must report to the Business Manager of that Local. A member must not work in the jurisdiction of another Local unless:

1) a travel card has been accepted
2) a working card (official paid-up dues receipt from the home Local's office) has been issued by the home Local and is on the member's person
3) permission of the First District VP has been obtained, or
4) it is a case in which Locals, by agreement or understanding, allow their members to work in each other's jurisdiction.



Suite 204
14 McQuade Lake Crescent
Bayers Lake Industrial Park
Halifax NS B3S 1B6

P: 1 800 450 5366
F: 902 450 5080

E: [email protected]

Email Sign Up

Your Name(*)
Please let us know your name.

Your Email(*)
Please let us know your email address.